[CT Birds] Barrow's Goldeneye, Fairfield - again?

James Purcell jpurcell1616 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:54:54 EST 2014

It seems as if Fairfield is the place for sea ducks right now. I guess the
King Eiders are still around (thanks Tina!) at Sunken Island, and I just
found a male Barrow's Goldeneye once again at Penfield Reef.

Now, unless there are other sightings I'm not aware of, this bird hasn't
been since I last saw it on February 2nd. I find it very hard to believe
that the bird was here the last month without me noticing it until now, so
either this is a different individual or (I think the more likely idea)
it's been in a different but nearby spot for the last several weeks and
just returned to the reef. Either way, I'm happy to have one again!

James Purcell
Fairfield