[CT Birds] Robin Feeding, Hermit Thrush

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sat Mar 8 16:07:16 EST 2014

I've also been following the advice of soaked raisins, chopped apples, and dried mealworms for hungry robins. We have a crabapple tree in our yard, with a scattering of leftover fruit on it. A single robin has taken up residence and guards it every day, selectively eating the gone-by berries. I started putting the extra treats out on the ground about 3 days ago, and it's gotten to the point that the robin is sitting on the ground waiting for me every morning since! Even today, it "followed" me around the yard, fearlessly drinking from one of our bird-water saucers about 5 feet from where I was sitting. Grass is starting to appear in patches around the yard, so hopefully robin will have more options soon.
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester