[CT Birds] Duck Hunt (the good kind)

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 22:37:03 EDT 2014

I have no idea if the 3 King Eiders are still at Sunken Island in
Fairfield, but I can say that if they are still there it is best to try for
them late in the afternoon(or on a solidly overcast day) and within 2 1/2
hours of high tide if possible. Sun glare is a real handicap when viewing
the Sunken Island area from the far western end of Fairfield Beach Road
before late afternoon on a sunny day. The birds are backlit as well, making
things very difficult. When the tide is more than 2 1/2 hours away from
high tide, the birds could be hidden from view behind the boulder and rock
pile which passes for an island. The " island" is totally submerged at most
high tides, hence the name Sunken Island. It also is called Flat Island on
some nautical charts.
Charlie Barnard Jr
Stratford