[CT Birds] Raptors on or by the Highway to Worcester Ma.

Robert Hutton rvhuk at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 09:42:01 EST 2014

On Saturday, March 1st, I had to travel early to Worcester MA., a journey of 90 miles from New Haven. The trip north was completely uneventful, but the journey south was very interesting. In the immediate vicinity of the Bishop's Storehouse, I saw and heard Tufted Titmice, which came to call as a result of whistling their song. Jays surround the business area, and a Northern Cardinal sat nearby as the Titmice hopped around the fenceline. Driving south, I saw EIGHT Red-tailed Hawks over five sightings, two Turkey Vultures, a Bald Eagle, a Red-shouldered Hawk and a small raptor as I emerged from Wethersfield,, CT., back onto the highway.

At Wethersfield Yacht Club there were ice fishermen on view and a few small birds were seen and heard, but three crows treed another Red-tailed Hawk. One crow left, then another and the Red-tailed Hawk waited patiently as one loud cawing complaining American Crow screamed out before the Hawk move up close and personal to the bully. Within seconds the crow was gone. It was nice to see Rocky the Red-tailed Hawk grow some testicles or simply get tough.

Later, I went south and saw a whole slew or Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks on utility poles, four in less than two miles around exit 41, a red-tailed hotspot. On the way to Meriden, yesterday, which led to the Hubbard Park report, there were raptors aplenty all over I 91. A Bald Eagle and a Turkey Vulture around Wallingford and another six Red-tailed Hawks by the highway on utility poles and trees. I have not seen so many roosting, raptors in such a short time since I came to the USA. Nothing out of the ordinary before I got to Hubbard Park, but it is amazing what one can see with an eye on the road and an eye in the sky.  FYI, I never came close to an accident.

Happy Birding guys and gals. Thank you CT all for suggesting places in your reports which a newbie to US birding might enjoy.