[CT Birds] Robins

kevindoyle01 at charter.net kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Mon Mar 3 18:12:07 EST 2014

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the means but the few Robin's that
have appeared at my yard in New Milford have looked but finding very
little pickings have seemly moved on. For all the birds that somehow
manage to survive these unreal temperatures at night have not deterred
the amount that visit my 4 feeders first thing in the morning. I'm going
through nearly 80 pounds a month of black oiled sunflower seeds. The 5
feeders are filled every other day with the woodpeckers and such
finishing the suet within day's also.

I hear a lot of we need to give credit to sports teams, actors and the
such. These credit givers are being paid far more money than they
deserve so why should  we give them credit for winning or anything when
the superstar is down. It's about the team, you pick your sorry ass up
and suck it up and perform. The ones who I give credit to are the birds
and wildlife that somehow manage to make it through every bitter night
of cold. Wildlife maybe built to endure winters and snow but when it is
absurd as this winter .... I wonder just how they do it.

The majority of the evergreen trees that had seeds and what berries were
left have been taken by those that are here. I have even resorted to
putting seeds under last year's plants for whatever subsistence the
birds can find. They are pretty smart since they've figured what I have

Saving all bones with meat, chicken fat and skin placing it out for the
crows they have found a reliable source of food at my yard. There
appears to be no end in sight but we know that warmer days aren't that
far off, let's just think positively for our feathered friends will
continue to use their instincts to hold on also when the better days

Kevin Doyle (New Milford)
kevindoyle01 at charter.net