[CT Birds] Hammonasett today

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Tue Mar 11 19:33:04 EDT 2014

Great day to be out birding today, so I decided to go to Hammonasett.  In the Nature Center Parking lot, mixed into a flock of HORNED LARK were 5 LAPLAND LONGSPUR and 1 SNOW BUNTING.  The longspurs were starting to molt into breeding plumage.  I was able to get a few digiscoped pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94547998@N08/13093360963/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94547998@N08/13093346843/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94547998@N08/13093321543/in/photostream/

One SNOWY OWL was in the marsh between Cedar Point and Willards Island, but was way far out almost right up next to the river.  Difficult to see even with a scope.

Amongst the gulls feeding in the larva frenzy were at least 10 BONAPARTE GULLS.

Jack Swatt
Wolcott