[CT Birds] Barrow's Goldeneye, Eurasian Wigeon, Redheads Fairfield

James Purcell jpurcell1616 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 18:05:32 EDT 2014

A late report from yesterday: the male Eurasian Wigeon continues at Ash
Creek, viewed from the open space by the marina.

Just now this evening, the male Barrow's Goldeneye continues at Penfield
Reef. I should note that both yesterday and today the bird was way off to
the left (or east) of the reef, instead of straight out towards the
lighthouse where most of the ducks were. In other words, he was in line of
sight of Seaside Park, but much closer (only a few hundred yards from the

Also at the reef were six male Redheads mixed in with the scaup (a first
for me at the reef), and Frank's Lesser Black-backed Gull.

I was unable to find the King Eiders this evening at Sunken Island, but
there were positive reports from earlier today. It appears that the birds
go off somewhere else at high tide. Hopefully I or someone else can
discover where that place may be soon.

James Purcell