[CT Birds] First Osprey!

John and Alexandra La Force woonpuffin at cox.net
Tue Mar 11 14:27:58 EDT 2014

On our way over to Old Saybrook, from Rhode Island (where we also saw, this morning, the first Great Blue Heron of the year), we drove along the road behind the rest area at Exit 92 off Route I-95.  An osprey was sitting in last year’s nest....

Our trip was successful, in providing us views of about 25 Brants (along the ocean in Fenwood), 48 Ruddy Ducks (near Saybrook Point Inn on the Connecticut River), 4 eagles (3 juveniles and an adult – on the island where they nest, across from the Connecticut River Museum in Essex), and a Black Vulture (along Route I-95, near the exit to Rocky Neck).  There were scores of Mute Swans in South Cove.

John and Alex La Force
Richmond, RI