[CT Birds] Hammonasett today

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Tue Mar 11 19:33:04 EDT 2014

Great day to be out birding today, so I decided to go to Hammonasett.  In the Nature Center Parking lot, mixed into a flock of HORNED LARK were 5 LAPLAND LONGSPUR and 1 SNOW BUNTING.  The longspurs were starting to molt into breeding plumage.  I was able to get a few digiscoped pictures.

One SNOWY OWL was in the marsh between Cedar Point and Willards Island, but was way far out almost right up next to the river.  Difficult to see even with a scope.

Amongst the gulls feeding in the larva frenzy were at least 10 BONAPARTE GULLS.

Jack Swatt