[CT Birds] Red-headed Woodpecker update

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Mar 13 20:15:43 EDT 2014

Terry Shaw and Dennis Riordan from Menunkatuck Audubon Society and I met with Shawn Crosbie from UI today.  They do not have any plans to do any tree cutting in that area until at least late in the summer or in the fall.  He asked that we keep an eye on the area and let them know if the bird continues to be in the area.

Speaking of this all, if anyone know about birds like this that are state listed an that the DEEP should know about, e.g. Red-headed Woodpeckers, roosting state-listed owls, etc.  Please let me know and I will pass along the info to DEEP wildlife.  I don't always see everything on this list.    Exceptions might be wintering or migrant Sharp-shinned Hawks, eagle reports (except nesting), wintering or migrant Savannah Sparrows or Horned Larks, since those are really only listed for nesting populations.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road