[CT Birds] Gulls today

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sat Mar 15 19:02:31 EDT 2014

Jen and I went out for a few hours this afternoon for a little fresh air!

Westport, Buryinghill Beach- hen Shoveler in the main creek with the Gadwall

Bridgeport- flying low over our car on 95 (near the Route 8 merge) a
single adult Iceland Gull which flew over the highway and seemed to be
landing on the north side of 95 probably in some parking
lot...interesting sighting!

Long Beach Park- 2nd cycle White-winged Gull continues, also many
Herring Gulls with a palette of leg colors from blue gray to
yellow....breeding season is on! Several flocks of Sanderling and
Dunlin flying around.

Madison, Hammo- a flock of approx. 1200+ Gulls bloom feeding from 300
to 500 yards offshore. Only had binoculars and could easily identify
the flying Gulls as they moved around there position in the spread out
flock which started at the jetty at Meigs and extended to the Kelsey
Point breakwater. At least 50 Bonaparte's Gulls present (I am sure
there were many, more), 2 Iceland Gulls (1-1st or 2nd cycle and 1
adult, and 1 adult Lesser Black-backed Gull that I could clearly see
in the flock. With the Black-headed Gull sighted today, I am confident
that a Little Gull or two can't be far behind!

Keith and Jen Mueller