[CT Birds] Fw: The Bobolink Project - a new approach to habitat conservation

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 16 16:54:18 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Last year I posted a message about some innovative work being done by a UConn economist and some ecologists from the University of Vermont.  They are conducting research on new ways to fund conservation work, using grassland birds as a case study.  If you are interested in learning more about the project there is a short summary and a web link below.  Please forward to others (or other lists) that you think might be interested.

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net

From: Allan Strong <allan.strong at uvm.edu>

Subject: The Bobolink Project -
a new approach to habitat conservation
>Dear Birders,
>As many of you know, grassland songbirds like Bobolinks, Upland
Sandpipers, Grasshopper Sparrows, and Eastern Meadowlarks have all been
showing steep, long-term population declines.  In the Northeast,
much of the decline is a result of the decline of the agricultural
industry, but the increased management intensity on remaining farm fields
has also contributed.  Because of changes in the structure of some
of the federal conservation programs, it is getting harder and harder to
provide incentives to farmers to use "bird-friendly" management
>These circumstances led to the creation of the Bobolink Project. The
project is a collaboration between UVM, UVM Extension, and U. Conn.
The idea is that grassland bird habitat is something that we all value
and who knows...might even pay for.  We are working with farmers
willing to delay mowing of hayfields until after the nesting season. Last
year, we were able to pay farmers directly for bird-friendly management
on 200 acres of hayfields in Vermont's Champlain Valley.  We're
hoping to do even better this year.
>The amount of acreage depends on the value of pledges received by April
15th. Your support can create safe habitat for birds nesting in Vermont's
working hayfields.  100% of the money pledged in Vermont goes
directly to farmers.  Information about the project and how to
pledge can be found at www.bobolinkproject.com.
Chris Elphick  @ssts
Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
University of Connecticut