[CT Birds] River Road, Kent

kevindoyle01 kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Tue Mar 18 19:01:53 EDT 2014

To all those who gave me directions to River Road many thanks. I ventured back this morning and parked roughly 200 yard's down the road. I hadn't gone more than 50 feet when I spotted maybe 30 Hooded Mergansers. With only a 300 mm lens I needed to bushwack towards to the river. Getting reasonably close I'm hoping some of the captures are worthy of keeping. I walked for nearly 2 miles on a very passable driving road. Two distinct tracks,  some ice and a few pot holes. A lot of mud though. As walking the Mergansers where more numerous as well as common Mergansers. Did't see anything else except for a dark brown duck with redish colored head. Definitely not a Merganser. Hopefully picture will show something to check on id.

Why just the one species if anyone can offer an explanation it would be appreciated. On the way out near the school many ducks spotted along with Ring Necks.

Some very cool ice formations and it's something just how cold this winter was to freeze the river to depths of 2 plus feet.

Great early spring day to be out doors.

Kevin Doyle New Milford, Ct.
Kevindoyle01 at charter.net

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.