[CT Birds] Incidental birds

Robert Hutton rvhuk at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 05:43:04 EDT 2014

I stumbled upon a new location for me this week, Linden Shores, Branford, with two unexpected surprises when I came home. About 30 American Wigeon joined about 20 Canada Geese and six Mallards in pairs. I tried to cover all the birds with photographs of areas where the birds were, water, land and island. On day one I realized I had photographed a first time lifetime Northern Pintail. I returned to see If I could get better images and as covered the land and water, I inadvertently photographed two first time lifetime American Oystercatchers.

Bird list and count for the stop-over was roughly as follows.

3/20/14
American Wigeon - 30
Canada Geese - 20
Mallard Ducks - 6
Northern Pintail -1
American Oystercatcher - 2
American Black Ducks - 4
American Robin - 40
European House Sparrows - 20
Song Sparrow - 2
Cooper's Hawk - 1 (Within the Linden Shores estate)

3/20/14
Hammonasset State Park (West Beach car park) provided an Iceland Gull among the mixed Gulls in an age and development lesson for Gulls.

The wind affected the visit yesterday and few ducks were identified as they were mostly seen on the wing.

3/20/14
Red-tailed Hawk - half a mile short of the nature center.
Hooded Merganser hen - 2
Mallard pairs
Killdeer - 7 (2 on the grass between the road lanes at West Beach and 5 on the roundabout at the entry to the West Beach)
Canada Geese - 30
House Finches -6
Red-winged Blackbirds - 8
Common Grackles - 20
American Robins - a conservative 60 (throughout the park)
Great Horned Owl female - at the nest.

3/20/14
Branford Point

Red-Breasted Mergansers - 4