[CT Birds] harbingers

Jonah Cohen jonahc at cox.net
Thu Mar 20 11:25:40 EDT 2014

OK, my predictions that spring would never, ever arrive may have been premature. (Or not... we'll see.) While I don't count spring as officially here until I spot or little brown-capped buddies, several things in the past week fall into the "pitchers and catchers are reporting" category, indicating that maybe - just maybe! - winter is ending:

Red-winged blackbirds - check
Common grackles - check
Mockingbirds - check
Bluebirds, some in breeding colors - check
Goldfinches, some partway to breeding colors - check
Cardinals outside my home making a non-stop racket - check

And today, at the  Children's Museum in West Hartford, also very loud:
Return of the nesting Killdeer - check

Jonah Cohen
Newington