[CT Birds] Bird feeder versus bear - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 20 16:28:29 EDT 2014

Dumb me did not take my bird feeder down on Wednesday night here in Washington, CT, the excuse I had was the rain on Wednesday night. Well this morning the pole, and a supporting pole, for my bird feeder was down on the ground. A close look revealed the pole holding the feeder was snapped at the base  and heavy supporting pole was bent. The feeder top was some what damaged and of course the feeder was empty of back-oiled sunflower seeds I fill it with. My last weekend for doing Feeder Watch is this weekend but I have decided not to try to put up the feeder again and will just put out the remaining seed I have on the ground and on a stone bench we have here. The bears have 'won' this bird feeder. I am sure they are very hungry after coming out of hibernation. By the way I have yet to see a bear in CT.

David W Babington
Washington, CT