[CT Birds] Sherwood Is., Short Beach, Silver Sands, Milford Point and Hammo all in one day...

Daisy daisye23 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 20:25:18 EDT 2014

I think it's safe to say I'm officially a "bird nird" and am hooked. Spent about 9 hours out there today! Here are some of my findings:

Birds seen today: From 10:30-7

Sherwood Island: 10:30-1
BRANTS 27
KILLDEER 4
GADWALL 4
SNOW GOOSE 1
MUTE SWAN 1
COMMON GOLDENEYE 2
COMMON LOON
RB MERG 5
BUFFLEHEADS 20
MALARD 2

Stratford Short Beach: 2:00
Nothing but tons of sleeping ring billed gulls

Silver Sands Milford: 2:23- 3:30
NORTHERN HARRIER
BRANTS 6
KILLDEER 6
LINCOLN'S SPARROW
LAPLAND LONGSPUR (this funny little guy was so close to me! He was observing me as I observed him and as I moved on- he followed me! Never seen anything like it!)
RB MERG 6
SONG SPARROW

Milford Point: 4:00-5:45
Excitedly watched as I had a bird I was not able to exactly identify fly over me. It was most likely a PURPLE MARTIN or SWALLOW of some sort. Any suggestions? It was definitely in the swallow family with VERY LIGHT underside and dark on top. I'm thinking bluish. Maybe a female Martin? I'd love some feed back on this!! I haven't seen any posts on swallow-like birds this year yet.
AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER 2
NORTHERN HARRIER
PEREGRINE FALCON less than 30 yards from me on the ground (kind of funny- here I am birding and I am blissfully unaware as he is just yards behind me. Staring. 😳. He wouldn't budge either!)
MUTE SWANS 9
COMMON GOLDENEYE
HOODED MERG 2
SONG SPARROW 5
GRACKLE 10
RED WING BLACKBIRDS 2
MUTE SWAN 2
GADWALL 2
RB MERG 2
GBB GULL
AMERICAN TREE SPARROW 2
CHIPPING SPARROW
CLAY COLORED SPARROW

Hammo: 6:20-7 (obviously didn't have much time- or light. There were a TON of gulls but I couldn't find any BP's or BH gulls at all. Most birds were just far away enough from the shore to be out of view with my binos and the dark)
HOODED MERG 3
SURF SCOOTER
BRANTS 20+
RED WING BLACK BIRDS 20+