[CT Birds] Project SNOWstorm's Snowy Owl "Century" was in NW CT as of 3/18!

Don Crockett doncrockett63 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:13:42 EDT 2014

Doh! The owl was in NE CT not NW CT as pointed out by Jamie and Greg
(thanks). Don't know my right from left either. :)

Anybody familiar with the field that Century spent on 3/18.2014
10:30am-6:52pm? It's in the NW (seriously it is the NW this time :) )
corner of the intersection of Child Dome Rd. & Dugg Hill Rd. in ~Woodstock,
CT? Spent the day roosting there, no movement to indicate any hunting.

It'll be very interesting to see if Century continues in a westerly
direction whether it'll bear left, right or continue straight ahead. A lot
of the owls when they are inland will get to a good spot and just hang up.
But several of these relatively tationary owl have gotten on the move in
the last week or 2. I think instinct to move as the days are getting longer
and warmer might be kicking in.

I'm hoping Century bears left down toward the more central part of the
state or down to the coast would be my "dream" outcome. But it's getting
late in the season for Snowies so it may be thinking time to head north.
Time will tell.

Next potential publication of new map data will happen in 3 days so
sometime on Monday. The transmitters are scheduled to upload their data
every 3rd day at 7pm. But they have logic to not send if their stored power
is low. The transmitters tend to best behaved when the owl's are first
released so I'm hoping we'll be getting regular updates every 3 days.

The URL again is:

    http://greatblue.com/snowstorm/tracker/index.php?map=century

                Don