[CT Birds] Sharpie vs Coop: grey tone distinction?

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Sat Mar 22 21:13:55 EDT 2014

I posted an iPhone picture of an accipiter today for some help, and one commenter came in with a distinction I hadn't heard:  Sharpies tend darker grey than Coops.  Her messages are below.  Have any of you had similar experiences or come to a similar conclusion?

(Pictures now public at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152338127234042.1073741847.525184041&type=1&l=7412250b15)

Begin forwarded message:

Crystal Durnan	7:46pm Mar 22

My guess would be Sharp Shinned because of how dark the grey is:  http://static.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

My comment regarding the grey is from personal experience. As a wild bird rehabber for the past six years I have seen Coopers and SS side by side numerous times and to me the difference is notable, even if not mentioned in the guide books. Of course that could just be a variation of the individuals in my area. Either way, glad I could help a little. :)