[CT Birds] 3/23 - Hammonasset Birds

Gina Nichol sunrisebirding at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 12:26:29 EDT 2014

 There is still a Snowy Owl at Hammonasset seen from the Cedar Island trail platform.  I was hoping to pick up a Piping Plover but no luck.  Viewing was good from the platform with lots of shorebirds and 14 Harbor Seals on the rocks at the river mouth.  Over the sound, I saw one low flying Northern Gannet and later in the morning there were Gulls (including Bonaparte's but no Black-headed that I could see) plankton feeding off the Meig's Point jetty.  Mixed in with the gulls was a Red-necked Grebe.
Here is my ebird report.

Hammonasset--Meig's Point, New Haven, US-CT
Mar 23, 2014 8:15 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1
48 species (+1 other taxa)

Brant  20
Canada Goose  28
American Black Duck  40
Mallard  9
Northern Pintail  1
Green-winged Teal  15
Greater Scaup  4
Surf Scoter  20
Bufflehead  12
Common Goldeneye  10
Hooded Merganser  5
Red-breasted Merganser  35
Red-throated Loon  8
Common Loon  10
Horned Grebe  2
Red-necked Grebe  1
Northern Gannet  1
cormorant sp.  1     Probably Double-crested but too far to see properly
Great Blue Heron  1
American Oystercatcher  1
Killdeer  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  1     At Boulder Pond
Ruddy Turnstone  1
Sanderling  65
Dunlin  10
Bonaparte's Gull  12
Ring-billed Gull  50
Herring Gull  45
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  2
Mourning Dove  4
Snowy Owl  1     Male seen from platform at the end of Cedar Island trail.
Northern Flicker  2
American Crow  6
Fish Crow  16
Horned Lark  14
Tree Swallow  2
American Robin  24
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
American Tree Sparrow  1
Savannah Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  10
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  40
Common Grackle  25
Brown-headed Cowbird  12
House Finch  4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17563432

Gina Nichol
Branford, CT
It's a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.