[CT Birds] Black-headed Gull

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Mar 25 20:01:18 EDT 2014

?Paul's Black-headed Gull was present at Wethersfield Cove at ~6:30 PM, along with an Iceland Gull.  There are a lot of gulls there, presumably for an evening roost.  It is worth careful watching!

I did have an intriguing gull that I only a got a fleeting look at.  It was noticeably darker mantled than the nearby Ring-billed and Herring Gulls, but not quite as dark as say the presumed hybrid Herring X Lesser Black-backed that has been hanging out in Windsor.   The legs were a pale but distinct yellowish color.  I never got to see the head though, as it was walking directly away into the flock and then they all took off.

The Greater White-fronted Goose was at Whirlwind Hill Road in Wallingford, as were Greg's Wilson's Snipe.  Quite a blackbird show at Rocky Hill Meadows.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut