[CT Birds] Important COA Workshops Announcement

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Mar 29 14:13:47 EDT 2014

COA WORKSHOPS ANNOUNCEMENT

IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

There will be three COA Workshops this spring.  Each will focus on different
groups of birds so that participants will learn how to differentiate among
similar species. Two of the workshops will focus on bird groups not reviewed
in previous workshops. These are the flycatcher workshop and the vireo and
thrush workshop.  The announcements for all three workshops are below.

As we wish to make the experience for the participants to be as rewarding as
possible, and as there is limited parking at the selected birding locations,
we have decided to limit the number of participants for each of the spring
workshops to twenty people.  The registration will be on a first-come,
first-served basis.  We ask that people sign up for only one of the
workshops in any given year.  We intend to run these workshops for the next
several years, so that everyone will have the opportunity to attend whatever
workshops they are interested in, over time.

If you would like to attend one of the workshops, please contact Chris
Loscalzo by either email or phone.  Please do not register for a workshop
unless you are very likely to attend it.  Please, also, contact Chris if you
cannot attend a workshop that you have signed up for so that he can offer
the spot to another birder.

Please keep in mind that the workshops are free and open to the public and
that the workshop leaders are volunteering their time to share their birding
knowledge with the participants.  We hope that the workshops are enjoyed by
as many people as possible and that the workshops improve the participants'
birding skills and increase their awareness of, and appreciation for, birds.

We are planning two workshops for the summer and two more for the fall.  The
dates and locations for these workshops are listed below.  At this time, we
do not anticipate a need to limit the number of participants for these
workshops, so advance registration will not be necessary.

In the event of inclement weather, the scheduled workshop will be run on the
following day.

Thank you for your understanding.  We hope that you enjoy whatever workshops
that you attend.

Chris Loscalzo

COA Workshop Coordinator

Spring Warbler Workshop

Saturday, April 26th, 2014 at 7:30 am

Kellogg Environmental Center/Osbornedale State Park, Derby

Learn how to identify the warblers that visit our state in the spring.  We
will follow a new format compared to previous warbler workshops.  This
workshop, we will begin with a detailed, outdoor discussion of the most
common warbler species in CT. This will be followed by a walk on the trails
to see what we can find.  The workshop will be oriented towards beginning
and intermediate birders.  Meet at the Kellogg Center parking lot at 500
Hawthorne Avenue in Derby.  The workshop is free and open to the public.
However, advance registration is necessary and the workshop will be limited
to twenty participants.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo.  Contact information:
email: closcalz at optonline.net.  Phone number: 203 389-6508.

Flycatcher Workshop

Saturday, May 24th, 2014 at 7:00 am

Hartman Park and Nehantic State Forest, Lyme

This workshop will focus on how to identify the flycatcher species
frequently found in CT, including the members of the empidonax group. We'll
have an initial outdoor discussion followed by a walk on the trails.  Meet
at the parking lot for Hartman Park on Gungy Road in Lyme.  The workshop is
free and open to the public.  However, advance registration is necessary and
the workshop will be limited to twenty participants.  Leaders: to be
determined.  Contact person:  Chris Loscalzo at closcalz at optonline.net and
203 389-6508.

Vireo and Thrush Workshop

Saturday, May 31st, 2014 at 7:30 am

Mohawk Mountain State Park/Mohawk State Forest, Cornwall/Goshen

Learn how to identify the thrushes and vireos in the state.  We'll visit a
northern location where there will be nesting Hermit Thrush and Blue-headed
Vireo so that participants will learn to differentiate the songs of these
species from Wood Thrush and Red-eyed Vireo.  The other species of thrush
and vireo found in CT will be discussed, as well. Meet at the park entrance
on Route 4 in Cornwall, four miles west of Goshen.   The workshop is free
and open to the public.  However, advance registration is necessary and the
workshop will be limited to twenty participants.  Leaders:  Greg Hanisek and
Kathy Van Der Aue. Contact person:  Chris Loscalzo at closcalz at optonline.net
and 203 389-6508.

Long-legged Wader Workshop

Saturday, August 2nd, 2014 at 8:00 am

Salt Meadow Unit, Stewart McKinney NWR, Westbrook

This popular workshop will be held at a new location this year.  Attendees
will learn about the various herons, egrets, and ibis that are found in CT.
We'll have an outdoor discussion first followed by a walk along the trails,
looking out into the marsh.  This marsh is known to be one of the best
places in the state to see Little Blue Heron.  Bring water, bug spray and
sunscreen.  Meet at the Salt Meadow Unit parking lot on Old Clinton Road in
Westbrook.  The workshop is free and open to the public.  Leader and contact
person:  Chris Loscalzo at closcalz at optonline.net and 203 389-6508.

Shorebird Workshop

Saturday, August 23rd, 2014 at 8:00 am

Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point, Milford

Sparrow Workshop

Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 7:30 am

Silver Sands State Park, Milford

Sea Duck Workshop

Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 at 8:00 am

Hammonasset Beach State Park, Madison