[CT Birds] Update on Hybrid Black-headed Gull, relocated (likely) on Prince Edward Island!

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sun Mar 30 18:05:05 EDT 2014

?The consensus seems to be that the bird Paul found and was also photographed be Keith and me is most likely a hybrid Ring-billed X Black-headed Gull.   Some examples of various hybrid combinations between Black-headed, Mediterranean, Common and Ring-billed Gulls can be found here:

http://www.ridibundus.gull-research.org/hybrids.html

A bird thought to be this hybrid combination was photographed near Cornell in 2002:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/woodburne_gull.htm

And one was hanging around Portland, ME harbor for at least one winter back around that same time period.

In any case, the bird was last seen by Keith I believe on March 27th.  The bird was likely relocated yesterday on Prince Edward Island!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schickadees/13511299463/

Paul's, Keith's and my photos can be seen at the below links.

https://www.facebook.com/keith.mueller.733/media_set?set=a.252251701628669.1073741846.100005315221025&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152119311899480.1073741862.730539479&type=1&l=4b20615421

Another hybrid combination that has been mentioned is Laughing X Ring-billed, but these birds tend to have more of an orange (and larger) bill, orange legs, a darker mantle shade and more prominent eye crescents:

http://www.anythinglarus.com/2011/04/hybrid-ring-billed-x-laughing-gull.html?

Patrick

PS Get out and check those puddles over the next few days!

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road