[CT Birds] Not a Black-headed Gull!

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Mar 25 22:33:04 EDT 2014

?Some doubt as to the ID of the Black-headed Gull was raised on a gull forum and it actually mirrored what I had been thinking upon further review of the photos.  The bird seems dark mantled for what I would expect, not contrasting any paler than the Ring-bills and it is also nearly the size of a ring-bill.  They also pointed out that there may be a hint of a mirror visible on the underside of the far primary and the dark tip of the bill.     I recall a hybrid Black-headed X Ring-bill (or Common Gull) that was hanging out in Portland, ME a few years back.    I think this bird is actually a hybrid, which is even more rare!

Hopefully someone can get some in-flight views/photos.

Here are the shots I got:

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut