[CT Birds] hybrid update

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Mar 26 10:50:55 EDT 2014

Paul Cianfaglione did get one in-flight shot and to me it confirms the hybrid nature of this bird.  I guess the question remains as to what the other parent is.  My money is on Common Gull, considering range and also the presence of two big mirrors on p-9 and p-10.  Hybrids with Ring-bill do occur though and I suppose the two big mirrors could be a result of blending the small mirrors of Ring-bill with the white outer primaries of Black-headed.  Any thoughts would be appreciated though!  Paul and my photos are here, and anyone should be able to view them:

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road