[CT Birds] Hybrid Gull

Paul Cianfaglione pgcianfaglione at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 08:55:09 EDT 2014

Until Keith's photos completely bury my suggestion of "large Black-headed
Gull", I would also like to suggest another possibility. There is a
subspecies of Black-headed Gull that breeds in Eastern Siberia and Alaska
which averages larger size, larger billed and has a blacker hood than the
nominate species called "sibiricus". They presumably migrate along Pacific
coast (Gulls of the Americas; Howell and Dunn, pg. 53 photo). Hey, if a
Common Gull can show up in CT, why not this subspecies! Same distance,
different direction! Patrick also passed along some hybrid BH Gull X Common
Gull photos which strongly support his assumptions. I'm grabbing at straws
here, I'm trying my best to not have to edit my e-bird report!!

Paul Cianfaglione