[CT Birds] Snowy Owl

kevindoyle01 at charter.net kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Wed Apr 2 00:06:09 EDT 2014

Today Tuesday @ Hammo I spent the entire day photographing and watching
the snowy owl. It was sitting a few hundred feet from where the
butterfly garden is out in the marsh. It appeared to have been eating
from the way it's head was moving and the owl seemed to move whatever to
a spot where it was hidden at least from my view for a while. Then it
hopped flew to dead stump roughly 50 feet closer where I was and others
photographing when it flew and perched on a nesting box where it sat for
hours. I was asked by a Megis Nature Center worker if I noticed any kind
of unusual markings on the breast of the owl, at first I didn't but upon
further examination of the captures there is definitely something there
that shouldn't be.

Todd Secki from  "A PLACE CALLED HOPE" was called in to investigate. he
specializing in the rescue and care of raptors. Telephone (203) 804-3453
or (203)214-2846. He ventured out towards the owl to get better pictures
and to see how the bird flew.  About 1/2 there it flew to the osprey
nest. Again Todd got even closer when it then flew to the tree line. We
chatted and roughly 6:30 we split and 6:45 the owl returned to the
osprey nest,I guess to survey the land then sleep. Several times on the
nesting box it was buzzed by gulls but couldn't have cared less, it was
only when 2 crows approached while it was sleeping did it posture itself
then went back to napping.

Todd seems to think and by those who have reported that the owl maybe
injured requested if any one has decent captures with it standing up so
you can see it's breast he'd like to see these pictures. I'm sending
mine tomorrow. If you reply I'll send you his email.

Despite from the reports that it might be injured Todd told me it looks
healthy and there's no doubt it can fly and seems to have no trouble
doing it. At the end as we were leaving the osprey returned well need to
say the owl would have none of that. It appears that this territory for
the time being belongs to this owl.

For me seeing my first real owl in it's environment were special. Lets
hope this bird is healthy and can find it's way home soon.

Kevin Doyle
from New Milford,CT
kevindoyle01 at charter.net