[CT Birds] Which Snipe?

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Apr 4 13:58:09 EDT 2014

I think my calling Wilson's Snipe as Common Snipe from my post
Wednesday may have started this "Name that Bird" conversation. I have
carved "Snipe" decoys for 35 years, and have always called them
"Common" and sometimes I call them "Wilson's". I am sure the proper
name is Wilson's....but can't help it, all those years ago we referred
to them as "Common" Snipe just like "Oldsquaw" and "Common" Scoters
for Black Scoters which I have also carved and painted for all these
years.

I also received three emails informing me that I "mis-identfied" the
Snipe I reported as "Common" and not "Wilson's" and also a short
history surrounding the names and geo-locations.

  Sometimes old habits are hard to break, but I will always call them
Common Snipe, Oldsquaw and Common Scoters regardless of the current
trend. I would have to think that if a nominate "Common" Snipe or
nominate "Common" Scoter were sighted and reported, the "Common" would
be identified and emphasized.

To me, it really doesn't matter what we call the bird...I think we all
know what  species we are talking about in the reports, and if it were
a "rare" subspecies or "Old World" nominate species it would be
identified as such!

Keith Mueller