[CT Birds] Which Snipe?

Bruce A. bka11 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 4 18:29:07 EDT 2014

Here is a discussion from the RI bird list today along these lines. Amusing
conversation.

Bruce

Hello All,
I was chuckling at the Ring-Billed Duck comments and just shook my head at
the Red-Bellied Woodpecker comment and thought to myself, some of these
naming conventions are really for the birds. Yes the Ring-necked duck
actually has a ring around its neck but the ring around the bill is much
more prominent. However, even the brightest Red-bellied Woodpecker barely
has any red on its stomach when compared w it's neck and lower head area!
My point being, if they can change the Marsh Hawk and Sparrow Hawk to
Northern Harrier and American Kestrel, respectively, why can't "they" change
the Red-Bellied Woodpecker to the Red-Naped or Red-Necked Woodpecker? Or
Ring-billed duck (At least it can be it'd when not flying). Can we start a
petition to get some common sense changes?
Don't get me started on the White-headed Eagle! ( yeah that's a
non-starter).
Seriously though...
Just some (bird) food for thought! Not to peck fun at anyone's postings.
V/R and happy bird day
Mark V
Pedantic at large