[CT Birds] Which Snipe?

David F Provencher (Generation - 4) david.f.provencher at dom.com
Fri Apr 4 13:30:14 EDT 2014

Jack, Our Snipe is Wilson's Snipe. The Old World version is Common Snipe. They were "split" in 2003 I think. Wilson's Snipe is sometimes still called "Common" by some U.S. state wildlife services. Heck, it looks like Texas refers to them alternately as Wilson's, Common, or Jack Snipe, all of which are actually different species. The opportunities for confusion with common names remain legion.