[CT Birds] North Granby - 6 Rusties, Lincoln's Sparrow (?!)

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sun Apr 6 14:02:26 EDT 2014

I am myself incredulous about the Lincoln's Sparrow because of the early date, but I don't know what else it could be.  A small sparrow; buffy breast; fine streaking limited to upper breast.  Otherwise similar in appearance to Song Sparrows it was associating with.  Can anyone suggest other possible ID's I've overlooked?  Song Sparrows shouldn't be in juvenile plumage at this time of year.

John Weeks

North Granby - private property (no public access)
Apr 6, 2014 8:15 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Observers were John Weeks and Chris Chinni.
28 species
(list generated by eBird)

Canada Goose  2
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  2
Hooded Merganser  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  4
Blue Jay  1
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
Winter Wren  1
American Robin  3
Song Sparrow  4
Lincoln's Sparrow  1     Small size; fine streaks on upper breast, which was buffy; similar juvenile Song Sparrows shouldn't be present in the spring.  I've seen quite a few Lincoln's over the years.   I don't know what else to call it.
Swamp Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Rusty Blackbird  6