[CT Birds] 4/9 Hammo Birds

Gina Nichol sunrisebirding at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 12:04:24 EDT 2014

Sorry about that last post.  I don't know what happened.  It looked fine when I sent it!  Here is a cleaned up version!

4/9/2014 - A beautiful morning at Hammonasset and some good birds.  There were indeed 9 GLOSSY IBIS at the Swan Pond, one SNOWY OWL at Meig's Point, two BARN SWALLOWS, and a close NORTHERN GANNET, 4 LITTLE BLUE HERONS, and 2 PURPLE MARTINS at the Meig's Point nature center nest box.  Still no Piping Plovers seen from the Moraine Trail!

For Roy:
>From Gina Nichol (with Jim Carr some of the time):
04/09/14 - Madison,  Hammonasset State Park --  9 GLOSSY IBIS, 1 SNOWY OWL, BARN SWALLOWS, 1 NORTHERN GANNET, and 2 PURPLE MARTINS, 4 LITTLE BLUE HERONS

eBird report below with more details about locations:

Hammonasset Beach SP, New Haven, US-CT
Apr 9, 2014 7:30 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     With Jim Carr some of the time.
48 species

Brant  12
Canada Goose  2
Mute Swan  3
American Black Duck  35
Mallard  6
Ring-necked Duck  2     Pair at Swan Pond
Surf Scoter  2     Flying far  offshore
Hooded Merganser  2     Pair at Swan Pond
Red-breasted Merganser  6
Red-throated Loon  7
Common Loon  2
Northern Gannet  1     Flying close to shore near Meig's Point jetty
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Great Cormorant  1
Great Egret  2
Snowy Egret  1
Little Blue Heron  4     3 at Swan Pond, one in marsh off Moraine Trail at Meig's Point
Glossy Ibis  9     Swan Pond
Osprey  12
Cooper's Hawk  1     Carrying a robin!
Bald Eagle  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Killdeer  2
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Dunlin  12
Herring Gull  6
Mourning Dove  4
Great Horned Owl  1
Snowy Owl  1     A mostly white bird first seen on the roof of the Pavilion at Meig's Point.  Then flew east and seen again along Moraine Trail.  I believe this is the same one that has been hanging around the east side of the park lately.
Northern Flicker  1
American Crow  2
Fish Crow  2
Purple Martin  2     At Martin house next to Meig's Point Nature Center
Tree Swallow  25
Barn Swallow  2     At least two birds, one over marsh off Moraine Trail, the other in the campground.  Both showed blue back, forked tail and cinnamon breast
Eastern Bluebird  1     Campground area, heard
American Robin  20
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  9
Cedar Waxwing  7
Song Sparrow  6
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  15
Common Grackle  20
Brown-headed Cowbird  6
House Finch  4
American Goldfinch  6

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17814530
Gina Nichol
Branford, CT
It's a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.