[CT Birds] Mr Long Beach calls

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Apr 10 20:19:59 EDT 2014

I was at Long Beach to help with the plover fencing today.  First of all, thank you to all of the volunteers who showed up to help.  It was a beautiful day and many hands made for light work.  It isn't fun when there are only a few folks helping.

One bonus was getting to see and hear Mr. Long Beach long-calling.   It struck me as quite deep toned and guttural.  I tried to get some video but all you can hear is the wind.  It might be good if someone who is a better videographer could try to get some footage of the bird vocalizing.   He long-called at least 3 times when I was there and Keith and Donna also heard him.  Donna mentioned that his voice seems deeper than it was last spring.

Some interesting links:

http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/09/calls-of-thayers-kumliens-and-iceland-gulls/

[http://birdingfrontiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/KumliensGull_ad_dark_Newfoundland_20130125_-b-001.jpg]<http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/09/calls-of-thayers-kumliens-and-iceland-gulls/>

Calls of Thayer's, Kumlien's and Iceland Gulls | Birding Frontiers
Peter  Adriaens First off, a very warm welcome to new Birding Frontiers team member, Peter Adriaens. Read his biog and see his remarkable photo at the end of this post :) While our knowledge of bir...
Read more...<http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/09/calls-of-thayers-kumliens-and-iceland-gulls/>

http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/4538?

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins