[CT Birds] Nuthatch was just a White-breasted

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 07:30:02 EDT 2014

I asked someone who is very familiar with Brown-headed Nuthatch for help on
the bird which I thought might have been that species. He replied by
telling me that the bird was a White-breasted which just seemed to have a
brown crown because color fringing had taken place when I photographed it.
I was fooled by that fringing (the bird was photographed in very dim light
with some weak back-lighting and I also cropped the photos heavily) and
allowed the seemingly brown crown to influence my thought process.

Anyway, I want to thank Michael Moore of Delaware for his help.

Charlie Barnard Jr