[CT Birds] "video" of Mr. Long Beach

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Apr 11 11:20:07 EDT 2014

I was able to get a poor quality recording of Mr. Long Beach calling.  Not surprisingly, we have received feedback that the "video" isn't definitive of anything.   Hopefully someone can get some better quality recording, which would be ornithological significant even if he turns out to be an Iceland Gull.    Very few recordings of Kumlien's Iceland gulls are available.

Here is the video (out of focus, but you can just barely hear "his" calls over the wind:

Hearing it in person, it was much lower in pitch than the Iceland Gull calls that I've heard before and even lower than Herring Gull long-call I'd say.

Some useful links I may have already shared:

There are some deeper tones evident on this recording, but the notes say that Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls are in the background:

On a side note, I was struck by how different the calls of Thayer's Gulls are to those of "Kumlien's" Iceland Gull:

Calls of Glaucous Gull and others can be found here:

Note, even if the call matched Glacuous, it is not a Glaucous Gull.  The primaries are not pure white, tail is darker and bill pattern is wrong:

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road