[CT Birds] 3/11 - Hammonasset Boat-tailed Grackles, Purple Martins, Kinglets (51 species)

Gina Nichol sunrisebirding at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 13:14:16 EDT 2014

 Another nice morning at Hammonasset!  Today was the first time I've seen Boat-tailed Grackles there.  Thanks to Paul Wolter for bringing them to my attention.  Ebird report below.  No Snowy Owl or Piping Plover.

Hammonasset Beach SP, New Haven, US-CT
Apr 11, 2014 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     with Jim Carr and Paul Wolter.  We birded Meig's Point area and then worked back through the park to the west end.  No Snowy Owl
51 species

Brant  14
Canada Goose  6
Mute Swan  2
Wood Duck  2
American Black Duck  15
Mallard  4
Ring-necked Duck  6     5 males and a female in the Swan Pond
Bufflehead  2     Hammonasset River
Red-breasted Merganser  10
Red-throated Loon  2
Common Loon  3
Double-crested Cormorant  4
Great Egret  5
Snowy Egret  3
Little Blue Heron  3
Osprey  10
Bald Eagle  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2     seen by Jim on the way out
American Oystercatcher  1
Killdeer  6
Greater Yellowlegs  3     Meig's Nature Center pond
Dunlin  3
Least Sandpiper  1
Ring-billed Gull  22
Herring Gull  13
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Mourning Dove  3
Great Horned Owl  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  7
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  12
Purple Martin  6
Tree Swallow  16
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Golden-crowned Kinglet  12     in cedars at beginning of Willard's Island trail
American Robin  14
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  6
Savannah Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  8
White-throated Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  8
Red-winged Blackbird  24
Common Grackle  16
Boat-tailed Grackle  2     In cedars at the far end of the parking lot at Meigs Point Nature Center.  Male sang from the top of the cedar and both male and female in trees in vicinity of last year's nest
Brown-headed Cowbird  8
House Finch  4
American Goldfinch  4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17840883

Gina Nichol
Branford, CT
It's a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.