[CT Birds] New Haven Bird May Events

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 15:59:58 EDT 2014

Folks,

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during May:

Annual Banquet:

Thursday, May 8.  Annual Banquet, Amarante's Restaurant, 62 Cove St,
New Haven.  Open to the public.  Guest Speaker, Richard Crossley –
Internationally acclaimed birder and entertaining speaker will give
his view of birding and the outdoors with the presentation “Past,
Present, and Future”.  Social hour at 6 PM, dinner at 7 PM.
Reservation in advance with payment and choice of entrée (Beef,
Chicken, or Vegetarian) is required.  No tickets are sold at the
door.  Members, $35.00, non-members, $40.00, cash bar.   For
reservation form: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203-230-1697.
Bring cash to participate in raffle.

Field Trips:

East Rock Park, New Haven.  Saturday, May 3, 8:00 am. Free and open
to the public.  Join Ranger Dan Barvir at this premier site for
viewing warblers and a great variety of other spring migrants. We’ll
meet at the Rice Field (baseball field) end of East Rock Park. Leader-
Ranger Dan Barvir: 203.946.6086.  East Rock Park is part of the New
Haven Parks Department.

East Rock Park Garlic Mustard Pull, New Haven.  Saturday, May 3,
following the bird walk with Ranger Dan.  Free and open to the
public.  Dan’s bird walk will end around 11:30, and after a lunch
break, we will get to work pulling garlic mustard in a heavily
infested area of the park. This invasive plant is a pernicious,
prolific pest that can overrun forested areas, squeeze out native
spring flowers, kill butterfly caterpillars, and alter the habitat of
our native birds. The rampant growth can be daunting, but with many
hands and an organized approach, we can help reclaim the park. Long
pants and sleeves are recommended. Bring work gloves if you have
them. After the bird walk, meet at the Eli Whitney Museum. Contact:
Craig Repasz: 203-230-1697 or crepasz at hotmail.com.  East Rock Park is
part of the New Haven Parks Department.

Bird Walk for Families at East Rock Park, New Haven.  Saturday, May
3, 2014, 9:00 am. Free and open to the public. On this walk by the
park's Mill River, children, accompanied by adults, will search for
warblers and other spring migrants. Other interested adults are also
welcome to join the walk in this famous spring birding site.  Meet at
the Eli Whitney Museum parking lot.  Bring binoculars and a field
guide if you have them.  Leader: Florence McBride: 203 -288-6777 or
j.mcbride at yale.edu. East Rock Park is part of the New Haven Parks
Department.

Bent of the River Wildlife Sanctuary, Southbury.  Sunday, May 4, 7:30
am. Free and open to the public.  Explore a prime birding location
along the Pomperaug River in Southbury where more than 100 species of
birds have been observed in a single day.  This beautiful and highly
diverse, 650-acre habitat is owned and maintained by the National
Audubon Society.  Take Exit 14 off Rte.84. Go north on Rte. 172 ,
then turn left on East Flat Hill Road, at intersection with church.
Continue to sanctuary entrance on left.  The trip involves moderately
strenuous hiking.  Leader-Roy Harvey: 203.888.5757, rmharvey at snet.net.

First Wednesday Walk: East Rock Park, New Haven.  Wednesday, May 7,
7:30 am. Free and open to the public. Join us for a walk in one of
the best places in the state to see warblers and other spring
migrants.  It is not unusual to see 15-20 species of warblers in this
park on any given day in early May.  Rarities such as Prothonotary,
Kentucky, and Cape May Warbler are possible.  Meet at the Eli Whitney
Museum parking lot near the covered bridge.  Leaders—Renee Baade,
Frank Mantlik, and John Oshlick.  Contact person—Tina Green: 203
247-2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.  East Rock Park is part of the
New Haven Parks Department.

Big Day Marathon.  Saturday, May 10, 6:00 AM. Free and open to the
public. Take part in all or part of this event.  We'll focus on New
Haven area hotspots, seeking 100-130 species.  We start at East Rock
and search several other local migrant traps, as well as the coast
from Lordship to Hammonasset.  Meet at the Eli Whitney Museum parking
lot at 6:00 or 7:30 am.  Leader: John Oshlick: 203-891-5344 or
john.oshlic at yahoo.com.

Naugatuck State Forest, Naugatuck.  Sunday, May 11, 7:00 am. Free and
open to the public. Join us at the peak of spring migration on this
moderately strenuous and long hike in a fine birding location. We’ll
search for migrants and residents. The mixed hardwood forest is a
good location for Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers and many other
species.  Last year on this trip we saw 15 warbler species and heard
a hooting Barred Owl and a singing Winter Wren. Meet at commuter lot
at Exit 25 off Rte 8, Naugatuck.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo:
203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net

Nehantic State Forest and Hartman Park, Lyme.  May 17, 6:30 am. Free
and open to the public.  Today we explore two prime birding locations
in Lyme. Nehantic State Forest, a 1,200-acre woodland, is home to
Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers and many other species.  There are
large ponds where you can find Wood Ducks, herons, flycatchers and
other species.  Nearby Hartman’s Park is known for its breeding
population of Cerulean Warblers.  Meet at at 6:30 at commuter lot at
Exit 55 off I-95 in Branford or the Keeny Road entrance to Nehantic
SF on Rte. 156, Lyme at 7:00 am.  Leader: Paul Wolter:
pwolter6 at earthlink.net or 860 681-5548.

Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, Stonington.  Sunday, May 18,
7:00 am. Free and open to the public. This will be our tenth annual
trip to  this excellent  birding spot.  We'll meet at the commuter
lot at Exit 55 of I-95 and carpool to Barn Island which consists of
large expanses of salt marsh, tidal  pools,  wetlands, woodlands, and
open  fields. We should see wading birds, shorebirds, and area
residents such as Saltmarsh Sparrow,  Marsh  Wren,  White-eyed
Vireo,  American Redstart, Willow Flycatcher, Bobolink, and many
other species.  Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203 389-6508,
closcalz at optonline.net.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director