[CT Birds] Assorted Reports

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Apr 15 12:21:16 EDT 2014

Passing these along, a bit late.

 From Art Gingert:
Sunday April 13th:  Goshen Wildlife Management Area, North Goshen CT
Ruffed Grouse

 From Judy Richardson
Monday, April 14
I saw my first Kestrel yesterday along the Dirt road in Easton off Rockhouse Rd. It was probably a female as I couldn't see any blue in the wings. It was sitting It was in the swamp on an old snag of a trunk, alert for dragonflies.

 From The Rafford's
4/14/14  Hammonasset State Park.
Snowy owl on pavilion roof across the street from the Swan pond.  8:00 AM

 From SH Johnston:
04/13/2014 -- Downtown Hartford, alighting on Lincoln Financial building around 5:30 pm - 1 NORTHERN RAVEN.  Unmistakable - large size and wedge tail. When I first saw it in silhouette in flight against the sun, I thought it was one of the local red-tails due to its size and wingspan, but then I saw it in good light and saw the tail as it alit on the building - clearly a raven.
04/13/2014 -- Downtown New Britain, by the curb, corner of Main and Chestnut Streets, the head of an AMERICAN WOODCOCK. Photos and commentary here: http://quodlibet-sarah.blogspot.com/2014/04/whats-that-bird-bat.html - I'd be interested in peoples' opinions as to how this piece of a Woodcock ended up on a city street.
Also of interest: UConn ornithologist and conservation biologist Chris Elphick is quoted in this encouraging article in the New York Times, about programs to create temporary seasonal shorebird habitat:

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT