[CT Birds] RH Woodpecker back

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 19:51:48 EDT 2014

I spent a good 75 minutes or so patrolling the area before the bird finally appeared, perhaps not uncoincidentally nearly coinciding with Sara Zagorski's arrival. The intersection noted in the previous e-mails, including Dana's below, is clearly a favored spot. While I was chatting with Sara the bird criss-crossed our path at least four times in fifteen minutes or so. It's not unusual for members of this species to display this kind of behavior. Patience is suggested, as is listening for the bird's complaining "chhuurrrrrr" vocalization, which is what first alerted me to its presence.

While walking around I was able to note a good number of songbirds in the nearby trees, including a Black-throated Green Warbler that sang a couple of times and teed up nicely for a decent view. I don't remember ever seeing one this early before.

Since it's Be Nice to Roy week,

>From Jamie Meyers and Sara Zagorski:
4/18 -- Cedar Hill Cemetery, Wethersfield -- RED-HEADED WOODPECKER continued as of 6 PM or so after an absence of just over an hour or so.

For those keeping track, and I'm sure there are many, that intersection is in the town of Wethersfield but not by much.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT