[CT Birds] Pileated Woodpecker, Winter Wren, LA Waterthrush - Cheshire

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 20 12:04:10 EDT 2014

This morning, Nettleton's Ravine on the Quinnipiac Trail (Rte 42) held "singing"  Pileated Woodpecker, Winter Wren and Louisiana Waterthrush.

Since my last post about a yard Pileated back on the morning of the COA Annual meeting, I've had 6 or 7 additional encounters: again in my yard, Bethany's Old Mill Road, western Hamden's Brooksvale Park, Bethany Land Trust property off Carrington and Tuttle Road, and yesterday, near the Q Trail in Bethany (Sanford Connector).

Tramping through these park-like woods reminds me again, of a comment by the late John Granton.  He told me that growing up in the late 1920s, Hooded Warbler was one of the most common nesting bird in Connecticut woodlands.  That's hard to believe today.  There's absolutely no understory, save the occasional invasive barberry, rose or euonymus.

Steve Mayo