[CT Birds] Song Surprise

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Apr 21 13:40:15 EDT 2014

While birding at Osbornedale State Park this morning I heard a bird song that struck me as odd.  The tune was obviously that of a White-throated Sparrow, but it didn't sound right at all.  A minute or two later it repeated, and I was fortunate enough to watch the bird sing it.  The odd sound of it became clear, as it was sung by a male Eastern Towhee, in between its Twee notes.

Otherwise the only thing new was a Gray Catbird, which I had not had there yet this season.  The stocked fishing pond on the other side of the hill had an Osprey and two Double-crested Cormorants, presumably enjoying the new bounty.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT