[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:22:51 EDT 2014

​4/23  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center   10am-1PM, cloudy,
overcast 55F, windy, mid tide receding.
There are now 4 eggs in the osprey nest! Female osprey was on the nest from
10am-12:07PM.
Male was on the mudflat sitting on a life preserver eating a fish from
10:20 til 12:07pm when he chased a Great black backed gull away from the
nest.  Then the male changed guard with the female and she left , flying
around, then sitting on the mud flat.  She also had to chase off the Great
black backed gull.  When the male went on the nest to relieve the female,
it was done ever so smoothly.  Male was on nest and just nudged over as the
female left.  The eggs were not left uncovered. Some drama when 2 stray
ospreys entered their airspace, - our female was calling a lot and they
left.  They hovered above the male as he was eating the fish, but must have
gotten discouraged.
Birds on the grounds & marsh were COMMON GRACKLES, GREATER YELLOW LEGS & I
think, 3 LESSER YELLOWLEGS as well, 1 pair of BLUE WINGED TEAL & 1 pair of
GREEN WINGED TEAL, 2 SNOWY EGRETS, 1 GREAT EGRET, about  50+ "
unidentified  shorebirds-what I used to call "peeps", 22 DUNLIN, MALLARDS,
D.C. CORMORANT,  about 100+ BRANT, 2 MUTE SWANS, MOURNING DOVES, ROBINS, 3
PURPLE MARTINS by martin condos, but many more House sparrows than martins.
Bev Propen,
Orange