[CT Birds] Question about Red-Shouldered behavior

Opposable Chums opposablechums at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 10:30:59 EDT 2014

A few days ago I was watching the Red-shouldered Hawk who now claims ownership of the back yard.  Several times, I saw it fly to the ground and dig around vigorously with one leg.  I thought it might have caught something, but each time it flew back to its perch empty-clawed.  I went down to inspect the areas where it had been "gesticulating," but only found some lightly disturbed grass.  Any thoughts?

- Jason