[CT Birds] Osprey nest just off ground level

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 11:44:31 EDT 2014

A pair of Osprey are building a nest (which looks almost complete) on a
large piece of driftwood in the marshes behind Milford Point.The base of
the nest can't be more than 2' off the ground.
 One bird was seen bringing a large stick to the nest and the other bird
was seen perched within the nest. The nest was observed from Bond's Dock in
Stratford. A scope would be helpful,, although not entirely necessary. .
>From Bond's Dock, view almost straight across the river and sightly to the
right. It looks like a section of tree trunk laying on the ground,  with a
vertical branch sticking up from it. The nest is on the horizontal trunk,
to the left of the branch. . I have heard of Osprey nests on low pieces of
driftwood from the "old days," but this is the first one which I have seen.

Charlie Barnard Jr.