[CT Birds] Suffield WMA -- 236 Broad-wings

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 11:09:32 EDT 2014

I found two CT sites on Hawkcount that reported more Broad-wings in the spring.  One was the (non-defunct) hawkwatch on "Peak Mountain" in East Granby.  Joe Wojtanowski counted 265 Broad-wings there on 4-19-2005. The other was Talcott Mtn, 249 Broad-wings on 4-21-2011.  Most of the other CT watch sites are dormant in April. I checked Quaker Ridge back to 1980 and Lighthouse Point back to 1990.

I could kick myself -- Dick and I would surely have topped both those higher numbers if we had been able to stay and count for a couple more hours.  Sigh.

John Weeks