[CT Birds] Just One Week Left to Protect Important Bird Habitat in Connecticut!

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Wed Apr 30 14:18:00 EDT 2014

Act Today to Support Legislation that will Protect and Enhance Bird Habitat on DEEP Lands!

Dear CT Birders:

Please take a moment to send a quick email to your state lawmakers! You all know better than I how much our birds depend on essential habitats provided by DEEP lands such as State Parks, State Forests, Wildlife Management Areas and Natural Area Preserves for their survival. Yet, as was brought home to us with events at Hammonasset last summer, only some of these lands are managed with birds in mind.

In the next few days, Connecticut lawmakers must decide whether to pass simple legislation proposed by Audubon to protect and enhance bird habitat on DEEP lands. We need your help to make sure our lawmakers make the right decision and support this important effort!

The bill - supported by Environment Committee leaders, CEQ and DEEP - allows the agency to recognize Important Bird Areas on its lands, publicize those areas on its website, and establish an Important Bird Area Advisory Committee composed of partners from the birding and conservation community to assist in the effort. The program will help focus attention and resources, on bird conservation, enhance funding opportunities, and promote birding in Connecticut.

This would be a big victory for birds in our state! The bill doesn't have a number yet - and it won't unless you tell your lawmakers<http://ct.audubonaction.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=41107.0> how important it is to you!

Email your lawmakers NOW<http://ct.audubonaction.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=41107.0> and ask them to support legislation to protect and enhance bird habitat in Connecticut!

Click to send a message: http://ct.audubonaction.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=41107.0

Thank you for taking action to support this important effort!  Feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

All the best,

-          Sandy

Sandy Breslin
Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 Cell (Best!)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 Fax
www.audubonct.org<http://www.audubonct.org>

Audubon Connecticut, the state office of the National Audubon Society with more than 10,000 members statewide, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using science, conservation, education and advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local volunteer Chapters, we seek to connect people to nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.