[CT Birds] May Birding Programs at Connecticut Audubon Society's Coastal Center at Milford Point

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Thu May 1 14:57:09 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Here's a list of the May Birding Program at Connecticut Audubon Society's Coastal Center at Milford Point. We have some wonderful programs this spring, including a continuation of our popular Hidden Gems Series we're we visit wonderful local parks in Milford,  and our popular owl prowl. Check out our new Field Birding offering, and our evening Beginning Birdiing Class with a field trip. To register, call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502. We'll see you soon.

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Society's
Coastal Center at Milford Point
1 Milford Point Road, Milford, CT 06460
Webpage: www.ctaudubon.org
203-878-7440 x 501

Birding for Beginners
Wednesday, May 7,  7-9 p.m. (classroom)
Field Trip: Sat., May 10, 9-11:30 a.m.(field trip)
Learn the basics for identifying birds on your own! During this fun and comprehensive hands-on course, longtime instructor and expert birder Frank Gallo will teach you ID skills as well as how to choose and use field guides and binoculars, and where to find birds locally. The course culminates with a field trip to a local park. No experience is necessary. Bring the "Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds." (Field guides are available for sale at the Coastal Center.)
Fee: $75/person. $65 Seniors.

Hidden Gems Series: Bird Walks in Milford Parks
7:45 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
Saturday, May 3: Silver Sands - late waterfowl and early migrants
Saturday, May 10: Wilcox Park - Warblers, vireos and much more
Saturday, May 17: Mondo Pond - Peak migration
Saturday, May 31: Beaver Brook Ponds - Late migrants
Saturday, June 7: Milford Point - Rare shorebirds, terns and gulls
Saturday, June 14: Eisenhower Park - Breeding birds and late migrants
Milford is blessed with many wonderful parks. Expert birder, Frank Gallo, Director of Connecticut Audubon's Coastal Center (CAS), has handpicked the best sites to explore in spring, from hidden gems, such as Wilcox Park, to more well-known sites, such as Milford Point. Frank will guide walkers to a variety of species of seasonal birds at each location. No experience necessary. Binoculars are available upon request. Preregistration recommended. Contact Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register and to request binoculars. Meet at each park; directions will be provided.
Fee: 7 week series $60 ($30 seniors, $45 CAS members); weekly, $9 per walk ($5 seniors, $7 CAS members)

Field Birding (New!)
Saturday, May 17
9 am - 1:30 pm
Spend the day with expert birder, Frank Gallo, cruising the Coast of Connecticut in search of late waterfowl, loons, grebes, and sandpipers, including eiders and purple sandpipers. If conditions are right, we'll check coastal woodlands for songbirds, as well. This is a great way to polish your identification skills and to find new birding sites to visit. Join the fun. Bring a lunch.
Fee: $55/Person ($25 Seniors, $45 CAS members)

Spring Owl Prowls
Thursday, May 29,
7:30 - 9:15 p.m.
When the sun retreats, owls awaken to go in search of prey. Some say that owls are wise; others say that they have sparked legends of ghosts. Whatever the truth, we'll uncover the mysteries of these amazing nocturnal hunters, while learning about the species that co-exist in our area. The evening culminates at a local park where we'll carpool and try to call one in. It's a hoot!  Meet at the Coastal Center. Not recommended for young children.
Fee: $25/person. ($15 Seniors, $7 Children (ages 10 and up))
- See more at: http://www.ctaudubon.org/coastal-center-at-milford-point/#sthash.bByfUP7P.dpuf