[CT Birds] Possible NEOTROPIC CORMORANT

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 3 14:22:44 EDT 2014

5/3, 2:00 - I just received a phone call from Larry (Brown Booby) Flynn, who during his lunch break saw a POSSIBLE NEOTROPIC CORMORANT on the Mill River in Southport/Fairfield.  He was near the Sturges Rd.-Unquowa Rd intersection, just south of Perry's Mill Pond Park. He said that (without binoculars) it lacked obvious orange on the bill/face, but did have a small amount of white. It took off (appeared small) and flew south down river toward I-95. This river widens to a small lake visible from near (southbound) exit 20 of I-95, and eventually empties out into Southport Harbor and the Sound. Double-crested Cormorants are commonly seen on Perry's Mill Pond also.
Keep a lookout, in light of the recent Neotropic Cormorant in New Jersey.

Heading out the door,
Frank Mantlik
Stratford