[CT Birds] Tricolored Blackbird (?) Vernon

Phil Lohr phil.lohr at cox.net
Sun May 4 17:29:19 EDT 2014

Apparently, there is enough variation in both sexes of both species that you
cannot "positively" identify from a field sighting.  I've been looking at
hundreds of posted pictures and the variations do seem to overlap in a small
percentage.  Same is pretty much true for habitat, behavior and song -
pretty wide variations that do overlap.  So, what I can say is that these
are the most tricolored looking blackbirds that you can see and if you saw
them in California they would BE Tricolored Blackbirds.  Since they are in
Connecticut, then pretty much by definition they can't be Tricolored and
have to be Red-winged.

Humbly submitted,

Phil