[CT Birds] Bantam L etc 46 R-n Grebes

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu May 1 17:52:57 EDT 2014

Posting this for Greg.

 From Greg Hanisek

Litchfield, Bantam L. (mostly Point Folly area) - 5 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS, 18
Buffleheads, 6 Common Loons, 46 RED-NECKED GREBES, 13 HORNED GREBES, 2
Bonaparte's Gulls, Merlin. On Point Folly - 3 Eastern Kingbirds
(together), 60 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 5 Palm Warblers, 2 Black & White Warblers, 1 Yellow Warblers, 1 Northern Waterthrush, 8 Savannah Sparrows (clearly a fallout with these birds out of habitat),

Around 10 a.m. had a few of random R-n Grebes when I saw a large raft of
waterfowl while looking south off Point Folly that through bins seemed
to be primarily R-n Grebes. Drove out North Shore Road to a spot where I could scope and carefully counted 40 R-n Grebes in the raft along with
some scoters. It was drizzly and lighting was poor, but those 40 R-n
Grebes along with 5 at other spots made the total of 46. As I was
leaving I saw a flock of c 10 Horned Grebes near shore,

I went back at c 3:30 when lighting had improved and found the big raft
in the same area. This time (seeing everything well through the scope) I counted 42 R-n Grebes, 13 Horned Grebes and 5 White-winged Scoters.
Mike Doyle also reported one RED-NECKED PHALAROPE early in the morning
on eBird

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT